Does ‘Daveberta’ blog author have a secret evangelical agenda?

Is that Daveberta.ca author Dave Cournoyer in this advert for Christian radio station Shine FM? Say it ain’t so! Below: A prototypical Christian rocker.

While we wait nervously for the election call, ask yourself this: Does Dave Cournoyer, author of the Daveberta.ca blog, have a secret evangelical agenda?

I know readers of Alberta Diary will be as shocked as I was to see the advertising flyer illustrated above, which was produced by Shine FM, a local radio station that specializes in a sub-genre of music known as Christian rock.

Now, I have to tell you as someone raised in just the sort of circles that nowadays encourage their children to listen to this type of music (that is, if they aren’t too worried it’s a case of the Devil being really tricky), I’ve always felt the concept of a Christian rock concert is, right on its bearded face, oxymoronic.

What’s more, Christian rock ought not to be confused with rock music that happens to be produced by a Christian or Christians. It is, as John Jeremiah Sullivan pointed out in an entertaining essay called Upon This Rock, the only musical genre “that has excellence-proofed itself.”

His explanation: “Christian rock is a genre that exists to edify and make money off evangelical Christians. It’s message music for listeners who know the message cold and, what’s more, operates under a perceived responsibility – one the artists embrace – to ‘reach people.’”

As a result: “Every successful crappy secular group has its Christian off brand, and that’s proper, because culturally speaking, it’s supposed to serve as a stand-in for, not an alternative to or an improvement on, those very groups.” Ergo: Christian rock can never be truly creative or edgy.

But never mind that, surely that can’t be Daveberta.ca author Dave Cournoyer pictured on the Shine FM advertising handout?

What’s more, Shine advises Alberta politicians – presumably mostly pretty conservative ones – that it offers a way to reach voters, like the guy illustrated there, “who will vote for you.”

So does that mean Daveberta has secret conservative leanings?

Because you can take it from me on very good authority, and this may be Alberta Diary’s biggest scoop of the year, that this is in fact Mr. Cournoyer.

An even more startling thought, as noted above, springs to mind: does this mean Daveberta has a secret evangelical agenda?

And if so, how the heck can an agenda be a secret and evangelical at the same time?

All I can say is, I hope profoundly that I have this wrong!

15 Comments on "Does ‘Daveberta’ blog author have a secret evangelical agenda?"

Is that supposed to be a satirical post?

2. Carlos Beca says:

hmmm let me guess – a new stealth way of getting religion back in politics US style? Everything is a copy of US politics. It makes anyone wonder if US politics are somehow successful?

3. Martin says:

It could just be that the folks at ShineFM did a Google image search for "elections Alberta" which brings this picture up, they thought it would look good on their flyer, and they used it without permission. In which case, this could get entertaining.

4. David J. Climenhaga says:

I had better be absolutely clear here, just for the benefit of the literally minded among us. In answer to Anonymous 2:28 AM's question, "is this a satirical post," the answer is an emphatic YES! With, of course, the proviso that it offered the opportunity to bloviate on the topic of "Christian Rock." Martin, I expect, has the explanation pretty well bang on. Mr. Cournoyer should be paid a percentage of the receivables by Shine. DJC

5. Bobbie Saga says:

LOL: Bet you were a punk rocker in the old days! Do you have records of the Clash in your collection?

6. David J. Climenhaga says:

Oh my goodness… The perils of satire in the Land of the Literally Minded: http://bit.ly/GXBMfv

7. Nordic says:

Levity? Good grief, what's next, sex or even worse, dancing?

Good thing we still have Medicare so you can get that tongue removed from your cheek. And speaking of cheeks, did you hear the one about the vicar and ….?

8. J.P. says:

I see "Shine FM" mentioned no less than three times in the blog post. Makes me wonder if this alleged satire is part of some viral attempt by Shine FM to publicize Shine FM adverts. I mean, who ever heard of Shine FM before?

9. Bobbie Saga says:

I hope you’re being facetious to me being facetious. I rather enjoy drinking my coffee without cleaning off my computer screen!

Dave, you made my day.

And thanks for the link. Some people take themselves far too seriously.

10. daveberta says:

Even I knew it was satire!

Thanks for the laugh, Dave.

Dave(berta)

PS. ShineFM may receive a request for royalties for my part in their ad request campaign.

11. jerrymacgp says:

BTW, all kidding aside, "Shine FM" is not confined to the Edmonton area; they also have a station in Grande Prairie. It is the only one not programmed into my car radio's memory buttons; I even have the (horrors) country station stored, because while I loathe country music, they do have the best local news coverage in the city.

Well… maybe Cournoyer just loves the music of DC Talk.

C'mon folks, satire it is. Jeez, relax, take a deep breath…

Shine FM was passing out Guitar pic's last summer at the ex.

Interesting marketing idea, I still have it.

A few years ago, a friend moved from heavy metal to christian rock. Not a big move, he was the straight laced one. Still have the "custom stix" he was pasing out

Wow, the boogy man is everywhere eh?

mohammad

14. Michelle @ 88.9 Shine FM says:

This article was brought to my attention yesterday. I felt it necessary to clarify, as you stated “I hope profoundly that I have this wrong”…that yes, in fact you do.

The only correlation between Mr. Dave Cournoyer and 88.9 Shine FM (or any other Touch Canada Broadcasting (2006) Inc. Stations) is strictly accidental.

In our company’s efforts to compile a guide on how candidates & parties could potentially utilize our radio station(s), a photo was chosen from Google Images by one of our staff that represented a polling place sign. There was no connection made to the person in the photo and we apologize for any misunderstanding. The photo was removed from our guide.

15. Michelle @ 88.9 Shine FM says:

This article was brought to my attention last night. I felt it necessary to clarify, as you stated “I hope profoundly that I have this wrong”…that yes, in fact you do.